Background Check for Courses before admission to Teacher Education.
1. When taking a course with field experience you are required to obtain a $10.00 background check through the Columbus State University Police Department.
Please follow the process below for obtaining a background check through the Columbus State University Police Department:
- Pay for the background check online. If you need to pay in person, you can go to the Bursar's office in University Hall and pay your $10.00. Background checks are processed Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Take the receipt to the University Police Office on main campus and complete the background check form. You may wait for the background check to process. The normal wait time is 15 minutes.
This background check is valid for two years or until you are ready to be admitted to the Teacher Education program.
Important: Email your completed background check to Adamczyk_Jackie@ColumbusState.edu or bring it to the CQTL office, Frank Brown Hall, Rm. 1058 The Campus Police does not send the background checks to the CQTL office.
Background Check for Admission to the Teacher Education Program
2. All students seeking admission to the Teacher Education program must pass a Fingerprint
prior to beginning program coursework. You MAY NOT participate in required field experiences UNTIL
your background check has cleared. To complete the background check, an applicant must submit
fingerprints for review by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Scheduling an Appointment
A Fingerprint Background Check will be by appointment only. To make an
appointment, applicants are required to call (706) 568-2022, Monday through Friday, between 8am to
The fingerprinting Live Scan is located on main campus at the University Police Department.
All applicants must pay the Fingerprint Background Check fee directly to the Bursar's Office
located in University Hall (Main Campus). The total cost for this process is $55.00. The following
forms of payment are accepted:
- Credit card/debit card
- Money order
To process the federal background check, applicants are required to provide unexpired proper
identification. Acceptable ID requirements: Photo, Name, Address, and Date of Birth. A proper ID is
any one of the following:
- An unexpired driver's license issued by a U.S. state, D.C., or certain U.S. territories
- An unexpired United States passport or passport card
- An unexpired United States military identification card
- If applicant has an alien/green card, applicant will need to provide their alien/green card
Steps for completing a background check:
- Schedule a fingerprinting appointment at (706) 568-2022
- Pay the required fee directly to the Bursar's Office (University Hall, Main Campus)
- Bring receipt from the Bursar's Office and unexpired proper ID to the fingerprinting appointment located at the River Park Columbus State University Police Department
- Fill out the Disclosure/Release/Authorization Form (PDF)
Background Check Results
Within 5 to 7 business days, the Columbus State University Police Department will forward background check results to the applicant. It is the responsibility of the applicant to forward the results to the designated department/person. If the applicant has not receive their background check results, they will need to contact Ms. Debby Mayo, Administrative Coordinator, at (706) 568-2022. Please note by law, the COEHP CQTL Office cannot release copies of background checks.
Please note: If you are a graduate student, taking fully on-line courses and you cannot come to Columbus to complete your Federal Background check, you may use this service if you choose to do so.
Background Check for Student Teaching
3.When applying to student teach a $10.00 background check through Columbus State University Police Department is required as part of your application. See instructions in number 1.
- Go to the Bursar's office in University Hall and pay your $10.00. Background checks are processed Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Take the receipt to the Columbus State University Police Office on main campus and complete the background check form. You may wait for the background check to process. The normal wait time is 15 minutes.
This background check will be turned in to Ms. Fuller when you come in for your student teaching appointment.